Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Have a Perfect Day!

A story told by Benjamin Zander in his book “The Art of Possibility”.

“Waiter,” said Ben, in an exuberant mood, “I have a perfect life, but I don’t have a knife.”

I was having breakfast with a friend on one of my periodic visits to London to conduct the Philharmonic Orchestra. I heard giggles behind me and, turning around, caught the eye of a girl of about twelve with a typically English pudding-bowl haircut. We exchanged smiles, and then I went back to my conversation and to my breakfast.

The next day, I passed the young lady again in the breakfast room and stopped to speak with her.

“Good morning. How are you today?”

She drew herself up ever so slightly and, with a tilt to her chin and a sparkle in her eye, answered me.

“Perfect,” she said.

Later, when she was leaving with her parents, I called out mischievously, “Have a perfect day!”

“I will!” she responded, as though it were the easiest, most obvious choice in the world.

And with that she said out into a universe of possibility.

What is to say that life couldn’t be perfect for each of us every day? I honestly believe it could be if we really set our target by designing our life to be the life that inspires us and those around us.


No comments: